10 Cloverfield Lane

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mb90535im, Jun 23, 2016.

1. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Anyone seen this one?
    I think John Goodman is a great actor.
    He plays a despicable character, but I have to say that the last 10 minutes or so of the movie caught me completely off guard.

I don't want it to be a spoiler so I won't post about it, just that it left me surprised.

2. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

John Goodman is a highly underrated actor.

Interesting movie. Not your typical Hollywood formulaic crap, that's for sure.

Az

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Movie was great until the end, but yeah, that was some wild stuff!

Do you think the movie vilified preppers, though?

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I agree - the end was a little weird, I assume they are setting up a sequel that goes in a completely different direction.

Goodman nailed a very difficult part. He added a lot of depth to the character that could have been overlooked by a less-interested or less-experienced actor. Top top it off, he made it very transparent - you forgot you were watching John Goodman as he just disappeared into the character.

I don't think the movie vilified preppers per-say. In fact, you spent a fair amount of the movie trying to figure out what was going on and if Goodman was a good guy, bad guy, or somewhere in-between.

In the end it could have painted a better picture of preppers, but it would have lost the whole perspective of the movie. I think that plenty of the people watching the movie left the theater thinking that, if the SHTF, they would prefer to be prepared like Goodman was.

5. mb90535im

Valid question.
    I suppose maybe, but it was a much deeper character study, which with only four characters in the movie, made that possible. I would have to say that my view of his character's traits pretty much followed the female character's view of him. I didn't realize the actual genre (sp) of the movie before watching and in the end was glad I didn't know up front. I think that would have spoiled the ending. I wish it had been about an hour longer. Sequel is probably right.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. mog

mog Active Member

I liked it. I think it also did preppers some good too though.

7. RedDawnTheMusical

Let's face it - most people used to laugh at preppers; now a lot more people are doing it and don't see it as a laughing matter anymore. I see a lot more resources for preppers now too (more stores, more supply options, etc.) so it is definitely a growing market.

8. mb90535im

I laughed when my brother and his GA Tech educated father-in-law dug a well, installed a hand pump and went to Idaho and brought back a trailer load of MRE's in fear of Y2K, convinced every PLC in the world would magically cease functioning at the stroke of midnight 1/1/2000.

We don't ask him to bring covered dishes to family reunions.

9. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I was reading the article in Wiki about it and it sounds like a good flick but a pseudo sequel (or 2nd of a series?) for "Cloverfield." The premise looks much different, so is there anything lost by not watching Cloverfield first?

10. RedDawnTheMusical

Oddly enough, I've never seen it, so apparently you can be blissfully ignorant if you haven't seen it and watch 10 Cloverfield Lane.

11. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

It stands on it's own.

Az