1 soda/day over lifetime = increased risk of heart attack

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Fallschirmjäger, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Hmmmm... maybe the headline Is big enough.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Waking up each day causes increased chances of developing all kinds of bad things. I'll just keep living my life as I see fit and enjoy it.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Are you implying that recognizing a substantial health risk and minimizing it to live better is not living one's life as he sees fit and enjoying it?

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

It is if that person wants to minimize the risk. But being forced to minimize the risk is not living as he sees fit. It is living as you are forced to, for whatever reason the forcer decides is proper.

Nemo

5. Malum Prohibitum

Who is talking about force?

Strawman.

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Pointing out the other option to your question. Recognizing a risk and minimizing it or not minimizing it are both living as once sees fit.

Being forced to minimize it when one chooses not to it not living as one sees fit.

Strawman on fire and gone in cloud of smoke.

And why are you here reading and responding? Don't you have lawyer stuff to do?

Nemo

7. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Of course it does increase the risk of heart disease. Think about what is actually in that crap. Chemicals. Other nasty junk.

If I am gonna drink toxic chemicals, I at least want to catch a buzz from it.

8. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

I mean are we talking a fitness nut vs a 400lb person or average joe?

I've seen plenty of "Exercise nuts" just keel over and die and lots of fat people live to be 90.

I'll subscribe to the non-passive aggressive stance of: "Is it my body? No? Then eat buckets of butter for all I care."

9. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

Jim Fixx started the jogging craze in the 1970s and then died at 52 of a heart attack--while jogging.

On the other hand, if you go visit an old folks home, I doubt you'll find any 90-year-old fat people living there. They are all dead.

10. Malum Prohibitum

That has to be the worst rationalization I have ever heard for purposefully increasing your risk of certain adverse events like stroke or heart attack. I have seen how people live after a stroke. That is something I prefer to avoid.

:rotfl: You can eat it for all I care. Perhaps I can post health things here and receive a similar hands-off attitude from you?

11. Malum Prohibitum

You must not understand what a strawman is, or, more likely, you think that asserting a false premise (a weaker form of strawman in this case) cures your previous strawman.

12. GM404

GM404 Active Member

Do you care about your healthcare premiums? I would guess so. The evidence is pretty clear; smoking, drinking, obesity...all leads to increased costs to healthcare. If folks want health "insurance" then I think there should be increased cost share to those that CHOOSE an unhealthy lifestyle. Same as having higher premiums for car insurance if you choose to speed around and actin' a fool.

13. moe mensale

I've posted this before. No, that (highlighted) is an outright lie perpetuated by the "medical industry" including your local primary care physician, doctors, hospitals, big pharma, actuaries, the insurance companies and anyone else involved.

The obscene costs of US healthcare are the direct result of every administration (executive, legislative and judicial), going back over 100 years, refusing to enforce 15 USC Chapter 1 against the medical industry. That would be price fixing, restraint of trade, price discrimination, monopolistic practices, etc, etc. You know; Robinson-Patman Act, Clayton Antitrust Act, Sherman Antitrust Act, etc. All federal felonies applied to every other US industry and involved individuals. Except the medical industry.

What's highlighted results in increased physical problems and costs for those who so indulge.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  14. moe mensale

But there are plenty of 90 year old thin people living there. I know because I spent a fortune on one for my mother.

15. moe mensale

What I'm implying is that there are tons of "experts" out there telling us what's good or bad for us and believe we're stupid enough to believe them. And most of us are that stupid especially when those "experts" are government sanctioned.

Follow the money long enough and you'll find one of two things. 1 - They're snake oil salesmen hawking some BS product for their monetary gain. 2 - They're snake oil salesmen hawking some BS product for someone else's gain.

16. moe mensale

My now 38 year old son could be described as a gym rat. He looks like he could move a lot of iron and he can. He's pretty good on what he eats. Two years ago he had a "mild" heart attack. The doctors never determined what caused it.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Well, this is Titan's spinoff thread, but the original has the citation and author (and a link to the entire study). Please go ahead and inform us of what the author is peddling as a product.

Well, then, I guess the whole study about sugar is invalid, based on the fact that your son had a mild heart attack, even though the study had nothing to do with mild heart attacks and you have told us nothing about your son's sugar consumption. I'm convinced! :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  18. AzB

AzB Active Member

:applause:

I would also add that frivolous lawsuits also add to the cost as malpractice insurance is quite expensive these days, and the doctors just pass that cost along to the patients.

Now, keep in mind I'm talking about frivolous lawsuits. There are certainly plenty of legitimate lawsuits as well.

19. AzB

AzB Active Member

My dad and my mother in law are in two different assisted living establishments. There's not a single fat person in either one.

20. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

Ok? My grandfather made it to 95 before he fell down and it did him in.

Had a big ol' fat pot belly.

No I don't suspect you will see any 500lb 90 year olds. I am talking about fat, not morbidly hulkish.