Keeping You Informed about Georgia Gun Laws

GeorgiaPacking.org Logo
Donate to GPDO!

Firearm Discussion

News, Guns, Bills, Laws, and the Georgia Firearm License
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #351
Speevl

Default No Firearms Allowed Signs

Good point. It really is sickening though that the big scary gun with the red line through it is so prominent with the words "Per Georgia Law" --- it hurts the perception that it is legal to possess and carry handguns in most places.

"You're responsibility to be ready for the fight, never ends..." -- James Yeager

Life Member Georgia Carry
Patron Life Member NRA
Member American Suppressor Association

Instructor
Speevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #352
CountryGun

Default Re: No Firearms Allowed Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal
This is all about tresspassing I would say. Reading that sign I would have to say they think, or want you to think, the the sign serves as notice per the tespsassing law requirement that you have been notified to leave or not enter prior to being able to have a tresspassing charge filed.
Understood, but sign or no sign, the proprietor must still ask you to leave. Signs don't carry legal weight, and they don't serve to give prior notice.

I once swore an oath that: "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I didn't drop that oath when I retired from the US Army. Combat Vet.
CountryGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #353
CountryGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speevl
Good point. It really is sickening though that the big scary gun with the red line through it is so prominent with the words "Per Georgia Law" --- it hurts the perception that it is legal to possess and carry handguns in most places.
Much agreed! It serves to misinform customers.

I once swore an oath that: "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I didn't drop that oath when I retired from the US Army. Combat Vet.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #354
Siege

Quote:
I have already notified them that signs hold no weight of law, do not service as prior notice, and that their attempt to deceive or inveigle has not only been duly noted, but has permanently lost them a long-time customer of over 20 years.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #355
Stooldaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege
Quote:
I have already notified them that signs hold no weight of law, do not service as prior notice, and that their attempt to deceive or inveigle has not only been duly noted, but has permanently lost them a long-time customer of over 20 years.
Was there any response from them?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #356
keepitreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGun
Signs don't carry legal weight, and they don't serve to give prior notice.
I forget - is that (signs do not constitue "notice") per code or per case law?
keepitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #357
majorwoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooldaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege
Quote:
Was there any response from them?
I doubt it, they are pretty anti 2A and have not made any secret about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #358
CountryGun

Quote:
Quote:
16-11-127 list places that are off limits. Facilities with signs are not listed. Laws don't list things that are legal. They only list illegal acts. In states where signs carry legal weight, facilities with signs are clearly listed as being off limits. So, in answer to your question, there's no place in the code that says signs carry legal weight, and I'm I'm not aware of a code that addresses them. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #359
PT140Dad

On the map....WOW (World of Wings) is listed as having a No Firearms sign. Since I was in the area last night, a friend and I purposely stopped in to check out their policy. I had my SS Springfield 1911 .45, and he had his XDm40...both of us OC.

No sign on door, and no funny looks... not even when I might have spent an extra second or two checking out the waitress

GREAT food BTW. Had to go with the sauce sampler...too many to choose from.

EDIT: In Rome, northside by Mount Berry Square Mall..
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #360
keepitreal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
16-11-127 list places that are off limits. Facilities with signs are not listed. Laws don't list things that are legal. They only list illegal acts. In states where signs carry legal weight, facilities with signs are clearly listed as being off limits. So, in answer to your question, there's no place in the code that says signs carry legal weight, and I'm I'm not aware of a code that addresses them. Maybe somebody else will chime in.
My question as to code or case law was to the trespassing statute 16-7-21 requirement that one have first received notice not to enter or to leave.

(b) A person commits the offense of criminal trespass when he or she knowingly and without authority:

(1) Enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person for an unlawful purpose;

(2) Enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving, prior to such entry, notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant that such entry is forbidden; or

(3) Remains upon the land or premises of another person or within the vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant to depart.
keepitreal is offline   Reply With Quote